1. What is Microban® silver antimicrobial technology? Microban® is an active antimicrobial ‘ingredient’ that can be added to a wide range of consumer, industrial and medical products to prevent the growth of bacteria on the surface of the item. As it is integrated at the point of manufacture it offers a long-term solution to the prevention of bacterial growth, reducing the risk of cross-contamination. The technology developed by Microban® and Panariagroup on the porcelain tiles and slabs is silver-based.
6. Does Microban® protection begin working immediately? Yes – Microban® protection works continuously, as soon as bacteria and germs come into contact with the surface of the tile, Microban® product protection immediately stops the growth and reproduction cycle. Since they are unable to grow or reproduce - the tile surface stays cleaner for longer.
7. Does Microban® protection wear away over time? No - Microban® active ingredients are incorporated into the tile surface during the manufacturing process. Evenly distributed throughout the surface Microban® actively protects the entire surface area throughout the entire lifecycle of the product.
8. What is the main advantage provided Microban® antimicrobial protection? Microban® technology, together with regular cleaning operations, contributes to improved hygiene levels and reduces the risk of cross-contamination, and ensures an additional level of protection in any environment. Microban® protection displays a continuous action against the growth of bacteria that cause biofilms, odours and cross contamination. Microban® provides targeted protection, focusing where it most benefits consumers.
9. Is Microban® protection safe? Yes - The antimicrobial technology used in Panariagroup ceramic tiles has a long history of safe use and can be found in a breadth of consumer, industrial and healthcare products – such as toothpaste, water filters, stationery items and more. The Microban® antimicrobial active used in Panariagroup tiles is listed in Europe in the Biocidal Products Regulation (BPR) No 528/2012 and has undergone extensive independent laboratory testing.
10. Are ceramic tiles naturally resistant to bacteria? No - Even though ceramic tiles consist of a non-porous surface, which provides an important benefit in keeping bacteria from penetrating into the tile, bacteria can still multiply and grow on the surface. As it is built into the tile surface - Microban® antimicrobial technology is designed to help prevent the growth of bacteria on the surface of the ceramic tile, where it is needed most.
12. Is it easy to clean Microban®/Panariagroup products? Yes, cleaning is easy as indicated on the general catalog. As action of the active agents of Microban® happens on the surface of the tile, it is important not to use any cleaning products that create a film that would block the contact between the tile and the bacteria. Therefore it is important while cleaning not to use detergents that contain waxes or coating products, rinse well and do not apply resin, waxes or protective agents.
14. How does Microban® antimicrobial protection differ from disinfectants? Disinfectants and detergents are an instant but short term solution that provides only a limited residual activity once the treated surface dries. Bacteria can then very quickly start to grow and reproduce. On the other hand Microban® antimicrobial additives guarantee long lasting protection, continuously working to prevent the growth of bacteria everyday and throughout the entire lifecycle of the product.
15. Can antimicrobial tiles contribute to generate resistant strains of bacteria? Dangers from resistant strains of bacteria are primarily related to antibiotic resistance in which bacteria no longer respond to a specific antibiotic. Microban® antimicrobial additives are not antibiotics. They have multiple targets and modes of action on the bacteria (unlike the majority of antibiotics which are target specific). This reduces the risk of potential resistant strain development.
Sign up to our regular newsletter
Tile Depot Head Office
PO BOX 259 372